Is Boris Johnson trapped in Downing Street with a legal obligation to keep Britain in the EU beyond October 31? It’s the one thing he has vowed time and again to his party and his country that he will not do.
Et tu Jo? Johnson’s Brother Jo Quits Over Government Strategy (Bloomberg)
Update: UK Government asks MPs to Vote Again on Holding Election (Politico)
BOE Latest: Mark Carney Doesn’t See Bank of England Intervening in Market to Calm Pound Swings (Bloomberg)
Today in Trade.
First on the Bloomberg: China, U.S. to Hold Trade Talks in October as Mistrust Remains (Bloomberg)
Five Takeaways From the Democrats’ Climate Town Hall on CNN (New York Times)
At seven hours, it was more in-depth than any official debate would have been and left no doubt that climate change has become one of the most important issues in the 2020 primary.
Hindsight 2020 Poll Review: Morning Consult Weekly Tracking Poll – National
Biden 32 (-1)
Sanders 20 (0)
Warren 16 (+1)
Harris 8 (0)
Buttigieg 5 (0)
Booker 3 (0)
O’Rourke 3 (0)
Yang 3 (+1)
Today in Financial News.
Hong Kong Stocks Drop as Futures Halted, Protests to Continue (South China Morning Post)
Hong Kong Exchanges & Clearing Ltd. experienced issues with its derivatives platform on Thursday morning, making transactions difficult for some investors just as the city’s leader spoke on protests that have rocked the former British colony for three months. The exchange’s websites also faced technical problems.
Moving Forward: Christine Lagarde Gets EU Lawmakers’ Backing for Top Job at ECB (Politico)
Pitching for the top job in front of the European Parliament’s Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs Wednesday, Lagarde said financial institutions must have “climate change risks and protection of the environment at the core of their understanding of their mission” and that the ECB could slash fossil fuel investments and redirect money into green finance under her leadership.
Climate Finance: Task Force for Climate-Related Financial Disclosures Recommendations Build Critical Mass Among Investors (Markets Media)
Gun Safety in America.
When Active-Shooter Drills Scare the Children They Hope to Protect (New York Times)
“The best way to make school safer is to focus on proven policies and programs instead of extreme drills that rob children of their belief that schools are in fact extremely safe places,” said Shannon Watts, founder of the gun safety group Moms Demand Action, part of the Mike Bloomberg founded and funded Everytown for Gun Safety.
Every Democrat Should Be Talking about Guns (Washington Post)
Perhaps most important, groups such as Moms Demand Action, the grass-roots movement that gun-safety advocates had long hoped to see, finally have arrived to counter the one-issue NRA voters.
Hurricane Relief Match: Bloomberg is supporting the International Medical Corps and the American Red Cross and is matching employee contributions through BOB <GO> as the two organizations provide lifesaving healthcare and deliver urgently needed supplies to the Bahamas.
“Cities have to find creative ways to address complex challenges with limited resources,” said Michael Bloomberg.
Reserve Now: London Readies for Hot New Restaurants (Bloomberg – Richard Vines)
British and overseas chefs keep coming up with new ideas, including a cheese restaurant, an Israeli-inspired brasserie, a seafood establishment inspired by Maison Premiere in Brooklyn, and the long-awaited arrival of Turkish butcher-turned-restaurateur Salt Bae, sprinkling a little Instagram magic over prime steaks.
A falling pound is luring foreign tourists and discouraging locals from traveling elsewhere in Europe, so the timing just might be right.
The Biggest Fall Restaurant Openings in New York City (Bloomberg – Kate Krader)
The city welcomes a Japanese soba master, a new pizza from Italian pros, and even gold medalists from the Wagyu Olympics.
Best of late night.
On the National Football League opening its 100th season today:
“It’s a special year, because it is the 100th anniversary season of the NFL. Even more impressive: Tom Brady has played quarterback in all of them.”
— Jimmy Fallon
“Americans love to gamble on football. A new survey shows that 15% of the country will bet on football this year. While the other 85% are completely broke from betting on football last year.”
— Jimmy Fallon
“It’s that special time of year when everyone finds out which member of their family has a serious gambling problem.”
— Jimmy Fallon
“Facebook confirmed yesterday that it is considering removing ‘Likes’ from its site. Said users: ‘Then why am I even having this baby?’”
— Seth Meyers